SPEAKJAPAN.org is a website which promotes the study of the Japanese language. It's filled with information about the strong connection between Japan and America, the worldwide popularity of the Japanese culture, Japanese contributions to the world, and the strength of Japan's economy. It is our hope that these wonderful facts about Japan will inspire people to study Japanese.
According to our recent survey, the most popular advocacy activities among Japanese language teachers are events and brochure/flyer distribution. With this in mind, we've created a customizable brochure promoting the Japanese language, based on the contents of SPEAKJAPAN.org. Below you'll find a ready-to-print brochure, a customizable brochure template, and a sample customized brochure. First, we recommend taking a look at the sample customized brochure to get an idea of what it will look like.
Here is a sample of a customized brochure. Do not distribute. Make your own!!
1) Make sure you have Microsoft PowerPoint installed on your computer. If you do not, you can install a trial version here.
2) Open the following file in PowerPoint:
3) Take a look at page 1. The middle panel has four colorful boxes. This is where you will showcase your individual school and its Japanese program.
- In the blue-green box, type in the name of your school and the relevant department name (if applicable).
- In the red box, type a teacher profile, or several (if applicable) and try to include a photo. Potential students like knowing a future teacher can smile.
- What is attractive about your program? Does it have a Japan Club? Do your students participate in some kind of exchange? Please type that in the yellow box.
4) Now, take a look at the first two pages. Those will be your brochure, printed on a single sheet of letter paper, which you will fold into three sections. Notice how they are mostly blank? That's because you will copy/paste content into the blank panels of the brochure.
Content will come from the inventory pages, pages 3 - 10. For example, page 3 is the Career inventory page. If you want Career information in your brochure, copy the title section ("CAREER: Learning Japanese gives you options in the job market") and paste it into the blank panel on page 1. Then choose three "circle graphics" and their accompanying captions to add to that panel.
5) Repeat the process for the three blank panels on page 2. Some inventory pages have framed photographs that you may use instead of a circle graphic.
6) Don't forget to save your version!
Note: Please do not edit the circle graphic captions or images. The Japan Foundation only lends its name to information and images which come directly from SPEAKJAPAN.org.
If you have you any ideas for SPEAKJAPAN.org content, please email your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be considered.
When it's time to print:
We highly recommend printing a test version first, and folding it.
Note: For those of you with limited printing budgets, try printing it in grayscale. It still looks quite nice and has a lot of impact.
Rushing to an event with only five minutes to spare? The brochure below has no individual information. It is a general version of the SPEAKJAPAN brochure, does not require customization, and can be used by any teacher in America.
Reminder: When printing the PDF, select "Print on Both Sides" and "Flip pages on short edge." Also, consider printing it in grayscale to avoid using expensive color ink.
Also, don't forget to share SPEAKJAPAN.org with as many people as possible using social media, newsletters, flyers and posters. Downloadable flyers and posters are available at the How to Use SPEAKJAPAN.org page.