Program for Japanese Language Immersion Teachers in U.S. 2012
Sponsored by the
Japan Foundation, Los Angeles
The Japan Foundation, Los Angeles will conduct a support program for Japanese language immersion teachers to participate in the Fourth International Conference on Language Immersion Education by Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA) in Minneapolis, MN on October 18 – 20, 2012.
Goals and Objectives:
Participants of this program will update themselves with latest researches and pedagogy on immersion education and build a network with Japanese immersion teachers who are teaching in other areas as well as immersion teachers of other languages.
Participants will attend two kinds of events:
- CARLA’s Fourth International Conference on Immersion Education
Participants will attend the CARLA’s conference, “Immersion 2012: Bridging Contexts for a Multilingual World” from October 18 to October 20. See the site below for more information.
- Networking Meeting by the JFLA
Participants will attend a networking meeting organized by the Japan Foundation, Los Angeles from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM on October 19. The participants will be expected to meet with other participants who are teaching in Japanese immersion program in other areas, exchange information, and build a network for future cooperation among them.
October 18 – October 20, 2012
Up to ten K-12 teachers of Japanese language immersion programs, both native and non-native speakers.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- K-12 teachers of Japanese language immersion program, native or non-native speakers;
- currently reside in the United States;
- are to resume teaching in the Japanese language immersion program after attending this program.
University of Minnesota
The Japan Foundation, Los Angeles will support the following expenses for those who complete the course with satisfactory attendance and assignment. (This is a competitive program. Please do not make any flight arrangement or payment of registration before you confirm that you have been selected for this support program.)
(1) Registration fee for the Conference (up to $300).*
(2) Airfare for round-trip flights between the airport nearest the residence of a participant and Minneapolis. Economy-class or appropriate discount tickets will be arranged by the travel agency designated by the Japan Foundation, Los Angeles.
(3) Accommodations with double occupancy at a designated hotel for NON-LOCAL participants. **
- Selected applicants will pay for the conference registration fee first, and the fee will be reimbursed after they submit their post-conference report and questionnaire.
- Non-local participants are those who reside outside Minneapolis and its suburban areas. Charges for accommodations will NOT be paid, if you choose to stay in a single room or in a place different from the hotel that The Japan Foundation designates.
- Length of stay to be covered by the Japan Foundation, Los Angeles is two to three nights (check-in on October 18 & check-out on October 20 or 21 if return flight is not available on 20th).
- The Japan Foundation, Los Angeles will not pay for the charges for accommodations for those who fail to observe the participants’ obligation without any unavoidable circumstances.
Participants are responsible for
(1) Transportation to and from your home and the venue
(3) Incidentals during the stay at the designated hotel
(4) An insurance policy for disease, injury, and/or theft during the program
Participants’ Obligation (Terms and Conditions):
(1) To participate fully in the CARLA’s Fourth International Conference on Immersion Education.
(2) To submit a post-conference report to the Japan Foundation, Los Angeles.
(3) To answer questionnaire made by the Japan Foundation, Los Angeles.
(4) To understand that this program is organized for the group as a whole and that you are required to attend all the sessions and complete all the assignments assigned by the Japan Foundation, Los Angeles.
Applications must arrive at the Japan Foundation, Los Angeles no later than July 25 (Wednesday), 2012, by Fax.
Acknowledgement of receipt of your application and information on participation will be e-mailed out to applicants on July 27 (Friday), 2012.
Maki Watanabe Isoyama, Senior Program Officer
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Phone: (323) 761-7510
FAX: (323) 761-7517